Friday 26 January 2018

Dream 895

'Bad Diagnosis'
Date: January 2018
Time: Time unknown
Type of dream: Normal dream
Dream recall: Normal recall 

Scene 1: An Educational Institution (Unknown) - Time Unknown
I was in some kind of educations establishment/institution, although I am not sure if it was a school or a university as I have forgotten many of the finer details of this dream. I was with a group of people who I recall that are known to me in real life, but I cannot remember who they were, or in what context I knew them (i.e. hometown friends, local friends, university colleagues etc). These friends/acquaintances were all enrolled on the same course of study as myself in this dream.  There was an assignment which needed to be completed and submitted the next day, which was a lengthy thesis requiring binding. I had not even started the thesis. I cannot even recall what subject we were writing the thesis on, but my peers had done the bulk of the work and no-one was telling me what I needed to do. I saw some completed theses - they were bound in a red covered book. I was panicking as I knew I would never be able to meet the deadline. I then realised I wasn't even signed up on this course and therefore I was not required to complete this assignment anyway. This was a huge relief. I believe this dream reflects current anxiety over my PhD and my efforts to seek a retrospective intercalation, extending my deadline in real life.

I then was speaking to one of my best friends, who told me he had been diagnosed with cancer. I don't even wish to use his initials, as I usually would because I feel this would be inappropriate in the circumstances. I was devastated and didn't know what to say to him. I woke up from this dream feeling like crying and was really emotionally affected by it. I did not tell my friend about this dream for obvious reasons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment