Thursday 8 June 2017

Dream 833

'Jeremy Corbyn's Delicious Umami Sandwiches'
Date: 7 June 2017
Time: 20:00 - 04:30 (I woke up from this dream naturally)
Type of dream: Vivid dream
Dream recall: Strong recall 

Scene 1: A Domestic Interior - Night
I was in a domestic kitchen, which was familiar to me in the dream, but not in real life. Most of the kitchen furnishing/decoration was white. There was a patio door (open - leading to a garden) and an island counter, which I was standing beside. There were 3 young black male dream characters with me, who in the dream were my friends and we were having an (unrecalled) conversation.

Scene 2: My Nan's House, Sheringham - Afternoon
I was then in my Nan's house and my Aunt VF was present. In the dream my Mum was still managing the Two Lifeboats Hotel in Sheringham (she stopped working there in the early 2000s). My Aunt VF was dressed up in formal clothing (including a strange floppy cloth hat in a dark blue colour) with a lot of makeup on. and She told me that my Mum had asked her to do a shift in the pub - this explained why she was dressed so differently from usual. She said I had to go and help her. I did not want to. Something felt odd and confusing about the situation, although I cannot explain what it was. I thought my Aunt would be working the night shift, but she said she was only doing the afternoon shift of 15:00 - 19:00 hours. I told her that this was the quietest shift (I often used to work this shift many years ago) and she wouldn't need help as there would not be many customers at this time, if any. I was relieved I would not have to go and help her work.

There was then a family party. I am not sure if it was still at my Nan's house, as the room we were in seemed different, as if it was a conservatory (note the use of this word - which is similar to 'conservative' - see below) with large French windows. My Nan's house, which is a council house, does not have this feature. The home felt familiar as being a family home. My Mum, Nan, Stepdad, Aunt VF and other family members were present. The majority of the older generations in my family are Conservative supporters, which is a source of dismay and distress to me, given the current political climate and some of their political views/expressions. They feel the same way about me being liberal/left-wing.

I am not sure what the family party was celebrating, but there was a large table in front of the French windows, with a white table cloth on it. On the table was a range of food - cakes, pastries and sandwiches, which were all on white bread, cut into triangular quarters. I then realised that leader of the Labour party (and the candidate I am voting for in the snap General election on 8 June 2017 - i.e. today), Jeremy Corbyn had done all the catering for the party and was present as a guest. I was so confused as to why Jeremy Corbyn was at a family party, given most members of my family do not like him. However, they seemed to be making an effort to be friendly and hospitable to them and no-one seemed to be annoyed or argumentative. I ate one of the sandwiches which Jeremy Corbyn had made. It was a vegetarian yeast pate and was one of the most delicious things I have ever tasted. The taste was really prominent in the dream - like a very savoury, mushroom-flavoured Marmite, with a more thick, creamy texture. I approached Jeremy Corbyn and praised the sandwich, saying: 'It's a strong umami flavour' and asked if it was a form of Marmite. Jeremy Corbyn said it was a pate based on the idea of Marmite. I had some conversation with him, standing beside the buffet table, while my family sat on some sofas around us, watching (from this view, I could see the room was very different from my Nan's living-room - much bigger with at least 2 sofas facing inwards).

I cannot recall any more of this dream.

Extra Information: 
None of note

Recurrent Dream Themes: 

  • My Nan's house as a dream scene location
  • The Two Lifeboats Hotel linked with current politics

Dreamsigns: 
  • My Mum still worked at the Two Lifeboats Hotel
  • Jeremy Corbyn was at a family party

Day Residue: 
  • I had been discussing working with my Mum in the Two Lifeboats Hotel (1 day before)
  • Politics, Conservative v Labour and Jeremy Corbyn are in the media and on social media endlessly during the current election campaigning and run up to voting (recent, ongoing)
  • I had mentioned Marmite in a conversation and also referred to something else in terms of 'it's like Marmite, you either love it or hate it' (I cannot recall specifically what I was referring to here) (3 days before)

Waking Reactions: 
This dream was especially poignant as it relates to the current political climate and also division in my own family regarding right-wing/left-wing politics. Some of the views expressed online by family members (in particular VF) leave me shocked and speechless, although I know that there is no point in me challenging them or trying to censor other people's political expressions even if I find them abhorrent, ignorant and myopic. I guess the reference to 'Marmite' may be symbolic of how Jeremy Corbyn is viewed amongst the UK electorate - he is divisive and people either love him or hate him - which is the marketing slogan for Marmite.

No comments:

Post a Comment