'Whoring Myself Out for a New Home'
Dream date: 23 February 2016
Scene 1: Cromer, Day (The entire dream took place here, in various locations, as noted)
I was in Cromer with members of my family, NN and members of her family also. Our families were helping us move to a new home, which was a small flat in a building on a corner, above a business premises (it may have been a laundrette, as there was one on the ground level as we stood outside the flat) The flat was in an actual area of Cromer which exists, but was slightly different (more metropolitan). I have managed to work out approximately where the flat would be (see images from Google Maps/Streetview, below). It is an area very close to where NN's older brother and sister-in-law (friends of my Mum) used to live when NN and I were children.
NN and I were very excited. There was a scene where we were simultaneously in a wooded area and at the beach, standing outside a cafe or pub (there were tables outside and canopies, which made me realise it was summer. I could then see there were a lot of tourists around, which is true of this seaside area in summer). I was standing beside the seafront tables and some trees in the forest (it is hard to explain, but it was a composite scene). I asked NN how much the rent would be and she said: 'Typical price', which I took to mean £500 or £600 per month, which would be £250 or £300 a month each. I thought this was reasonable, but wondered where I would earn the money from.
We went down the street towards our new flat. First, we looked into a pub, which was next to the flat, aware that this was a party hotspot and very popular as a hangout. The pub looked like a traditional pub, with wooden fixtures and fittings, reminding me of the downstairs of Delaney's Irish Bar, a pub which used to be in St Andrews Street in Norwich, but has now closed down. There were a number of young males in the pub, some of them smoking cannabis while sitting around a table. The pub also had the feel of a cafe as well, and NN and I were pleased to live beside such a lively place. We went up to our flat.
The flat, which looked down directly onto the street below was small, and already decorated. I was pleased to note that there were a number of posters of Marilyn Monroe on the walls, some featuring her with a man, who was a professor. The rest of the walls were covered with obscure and niche cult movie pictures and images of musicians, artistic prints etc. I thought we should leave all of the pictures up. I assumed that after we had arranged our possessions in our new home we would be going out to party in the street. NN said that we had to arrange the beds first. In the main room (the one we entered as we walked through the front door), there was a single bed - a mattress on a metal bed frame (like my actual bed). In the other room, which was separated by a partition wall, with an open doorway (this being the kitchen/living area), there were two single mattresses, without a bed frame. NN said we should move the single bed with the frame through to the living-area and use it as a sofa, and bring the two mattresses through to the bedroom and put them together to make a double bed for us to share. I agreed, although I did not really want to share a bed. The bedding and mattresses were bright blue and powdery baby pink colours. After the beds were moved around, NN laid down on the double mattresses on the floor, up against the wall. She said: 'You can be on the edge'. I was surprised that she seemed to be going to sleep, as I thought we would now be going out to party, and it was still quite early. NN said: 'You can just watch TV while I sleep'. I was not happy about this, so decide to go out on my own.
It was now dark as night had fallen. As I walked down the street (see images from Google Maps/Streetview, below), I became aware of what part of Cromer we were living in, approximately (although, of course, everything was altered by the dream, so it was more of a sense of what street I was walking down). I saw various people walking around and wondered if I could find a random group of people to socialise with. I saw a number of cars drive past. On the other side of the road was a man walking a St Bernard dog, which was bounding after him. The dog was the size of a cow and gave the impression of being animated, like a cartoon.
I then came to a building where there were some people inside (I did not go in or see them, but I was aware and also knew they were tourists). I stood outside, looking at the buildings on the other side of the road. I wondered if it would be a good idea to become a prostitute, as this would allow me to earn money to pay my rent. I was quite happy and content with the idea and I thought I would charge: £50 for sex; £35 for oral sex/blowjob and £20 for a handjob. I wondered if these prices were too expensive; too cheap or just right and how I would find out. A short distance away I saw a father and a young adult son, and decided they would be good to socialise with, but had concerns whether it was safe to approach them. I kept thinking that there were various groups of people out that night and it must be OK to join one of them as I was desperate to have some fun.
TIME: 22:30 - 06:50 hours (I woke up from this dream)
SPECIAL NOTES: NONE OF NOTE
- None of note
- I was moving into a flat with NN - she was not a mother in the dream
- The dog which was the size of a cow
- I was happy to become a prostitute
Recurrent Dream Themes:
- Beds/bed sheets
Potential Day/Dream Residue:
- I had been talking about the cost of the laundrette the day before this dream
- I had been for a walk in the woods/forest on the day of this dream
- I had been watching an documentary about my favourite artist, Andy Warhol (1928 - 1987) and in it there were some posters advertising an exhibition which had his famous Marilyn Monroe screen-prints. I also watched Factory Girl (2006), the story of his 'superstar', tragic socialite, Edie Sedgwick (1943 - 1971), and a similar poster, with the Monroe prints were included in that. There was also a scene where Sedgwick, played by Sienna Miller is unable to pay the rent on her apartment
- I had been thinking about sleeping arrangements, prior to my friend AD coming to stay this coming weekend - see Dream 568
- The day before this dream I watched a home interior design challenge show, where amateurs redesign and decorate a home to a brief - in the episode I was watching, the contestant used a bright blue colour and also a powder pink (which she wrongly described as a 'dusky coral'. There was another contestant who DL said was like a version of me - Middle-Eastern-looking with long black hair, a big butt and an arrogant, confident attitude and strong will - who was designing a room for a young girl. DL and I thought it was odd that the client - who already had a double-bed before the re-design, despite being a child, was content to swap this for a single bed
- I responded to a message from someone with 'you must think I am a right whore' the day before this dream
- The day of this dream I had been watching one of my favourite documentaries, Black Tar Heroin, which was made by an imprint company of HBO and features the stories of a number of young heroin addicts living in San Francisco in the 1990s - some of which were forced into sex work to pay for their addictions