Thursday 7 May 2015

Dream 429

'Popularity'
Dream date: 5 May 2015

Note that there was no dreams recalled/recorded for Day 12 (4 May 2015) of my 14-Day Dream Incubation Experiment.

Day 13 of 14-Day Dream Incubation Experiment - The 'Dream Town' Dream
This is Day 13 of my 14-Day Dream Incubation Experiment. Click on the red link to access the article which explains the experiment.

I found myself laying in my bed - my eyes were half open and I could feel a hand (on top of my duvet) smoothing it down over my body (starting from my mid-thigh going up towards my chest). The pressure was firm and it felt like someone was stroking me, although I could see nothing in the room with me and knew I should be alone. I had partial sleep paralysis (in my arms and hands). I then heard the doorbell ring, although it sounded like it was just outside my bedroom. I was aware that this was a false awakening, which means that I was at least semi-lucid at this point.

I must have lapsed into a normal dream state.

I was in a very big room which had white walls. It was daylight. I was sitting around a very large table with various persons with whom I had gone to high school in Sheringham - all of whom were very popular. 'cool' kids in my local area. 

In real-life I had been casual friends or acquaintances of these kids, but not part of their 'inner circle'. This is because I was 'alternative' (into underground or alternative music, skateboarding, grunge fashion, obscure hobbies), but at the same time outgoing and confident; slightly rebellious (or maybe very so, but able to avoid getting into serious trouble for underage drinking and cannabis use); at the top of my classes in almost every subject; and the daughter of a local pub landlady (so I had a mixed relationship with them). 

Most of the popular kids were males and notably, I saw one of them as JS - who was another rebellious kid, but not necessarily as popular as the rest of them. I said something to JS, along the lines of: 'Why are you here with these lot?' He looked sullen and withdrawn and was sitting low in his seat, while the other boys were louder and more active (leaning over the table, taking part in the conversation etc). It turned out that there was a party happening and I was surprised to find myself invited and part of the popular crowd. I was asking everyone at the table if they knew how I could score some cannabis, but no-one seemed to know.

The scene then changed and I was with these popular kids in a pub which was made entirely from dark, gnarly wood. It looked a little bit like the main bar in The Dunstable Arms pub in Sheringham, where my mum used to work, but at the same time reminded me of a medieval tavern.  Everything inside this pub was dark, except for the area behind the bar, which was brightly lit. I think the people at our table were the only customers in the pub. My mum was standing behind the bar of this pub. She called me over and gave me something in a white bottle and told me I needed to drink it. I am not sure what it was, but it was a 'remedy' to cure something which was wrong with me, but not necessarily causing me any immediate problems. I wondered why my mum was so keen to give me a remedy for something which was not affecting me, and I was anxious to get back to the popular kids and join in with their fun. My mum then said: 'No, that's not the right one' and bent down to the bottled drinks shelf and got me another bottle of something - which looked exactly the same. She told me to drink it. I said I would, and walked back round the the customer side of the bar and rejoined the cool kids. 

I was then in a different room again - I think it was the same room which had the table in it (where the popular cool kids had been in the earlier dream scene). However, it was now night-time and the lights were on. At the back of the room was a kitchen area, with a counter. DL was there with me (standing in near the kitchen area) and there were some other people sitting around the big table. DL said: 'Scarlett Johansson is my ultimate wank fantasy because she is so much more beautiful than you!' I was outraged at this. I said (remembering some recent pictures I had seen of her in the media): 'Well with her short hair and her weight loss, her boobs have shrunk smaller than mine and she has a lot of lines on her face which I don't!' DL said: 'I am not interested in her face or boobs'. I told him: 'I once said I thought she was pretty and you told me you disagreed with that' (which is something which happened in real-life - he asked which Hollywood actresses I thought had beautiful faces and I had said Scarlett Johansson, an opinion which he disagreed with - this conversation took place shortly before he and I were questioned by the police for possession of cannabis while we were sitting on a bench late at night). He said: 'I changed my mind because of social networking'. I then said (to try and spite him further): 'My ultimate wank fantasy is one of your real-life friends from social networking!' This was said purely to anger and upset him and stir jealousy. It worked. DL shouted something at me and became very enraged. We started wrestling each other just in front of the kitchen counter. DL was trying to pull me to the ground, but I was able to stand my ground and I was laughing at him, happy to have achieved my goal of making him as angry and upset as I was at his own comment. The people sat around the table with watching and laughing.

I cannot recall what else happened in this dream.

TIME: 12: 00 - 16:00 hours (I woke up from this dream)
LUCIDITY: Semi-lucid/lucid during false awakening

Dreamsigns:
  • None of note - except the false awakening with sleep paralysis, which I recognised as being part of a dream state

Recurrent Dream Themes:
  • Cannabis
  • Sheringham as a dream scene location? I am not sure where this dream was set as there were no obvious cues

Potential Day/Dream Residue:
  • The day before this dream I had written a review of Montage of Heck (2015) in which I had referred to the phrase 'cool kids'. Thinking about the film (and references to how Kurt Cobain felt like a social outcast during his school days) led me to think about my own school days and how I am appreciative of the fact that I was alternative and did not follow the in-crowd (who seem insipid and banal to me) - as a teenager I listed to Nirvana and wanted to be a Riot Grrrl, living a grunge lifestyle (I was a child of the 1990s, so was influenced by the alternative slacker culture). I still feel the same way as an adult.
  • The day of this dream I had watched a Youtube video made and uploaded by a Youtuber named Patricia Bright, in which she stated her Nigerian father (who thought of himself as a medical doctor) had provided her with a random bottle of ointment for her sprained ankle. She said she had no idea where her father got such remedies from (it looked like an old-fashioned treatment in the form of a bottle in a white box).
  • I saw the pictures of Scarlett Johansson (looking very slim and less curvy, with short hair and lines on her face) a few days before this dream. In a comments section on a news site, many people had suggested that sudden weight loss after the birth of her baby - coupled with her bad tattoos and short hair - had ruined her looks  and she was ageing badly - a view I actually agreed with based on recent media images.
  • The day of this dream I had watched an episode of Couples Come Dine With Me in which one of the contestants (a middle-aged man) had named Scarlett Johansson as his ultimate celebrity crush and someone he would want a 'free pass' to have sex with. His (overweight, middle-aged) wife had looked bemused and slightly annoyed by this revelation.
  • The day of this dream my mum had commented on a photograph of me uploaded on my Facebook page referring to me as 'beautiful'.
  • The day of this dream I had watched a documentary called When Freddie Mercury Met Kenny Everett which showed a clip of Mercury wrestling Everett to the floor during a sketch during the Kenny Everett Television Show - Everett bears some resemblance to DL.

Waking Thoughts & Emotions:

I didn't really have any specific thoughts or emotions when I woke from this dream, because my attention was directed to the fact that my alarm clock was about to sound and I needed to get up from my over-long nap as I had plans. The dream was neither positive nor negative.

* If I remember anything else about this dream I will record it below.

Interpretation/Analysis:
This dream does not seem to relate to my dream incubation experiment in any way. I am not sure where the dream took place, although I assume it probably Sheringham, due to the fact the pub reminded me of The Dunstable Arms and the main dream characters were people I went to school with - a large number of which still reside in Sheringham, as does my mum. This dream - while not necessarily negative - seems to reflect feelings of inferiority and envy - in comparison to the 'in-crowd' of cool kids from my school days and also a celebrity like Scarlett Johansson. Perhaps the scene with my mum reflects the idea that I am never inferior in her eyes and am able to compete favourably with anyone in terms of looks, personality or intelligence. Therefore, she seemed to have a 'remedy' for feelings of inferiority - as symbolised within this dream, which seemed to take me back to my school days in terms of the people who appeared in the dream and my mum's job. 


No comments:

Post a Comment