Tuesday 22 September 2015

Dream 508

'A Victorian Shoe Shop'
Dream date: 21 September 2015

Day 14 of 14-Day Dream Incubation Experiment - Kurt Cobain Dream
This is Day 14 of my 14-Day Dream Incubation Experiment. Click on the red link to access the article which explains the experiment and contains all relevant links.

Scene 1: A Boat at Sea - Day
My step-brother was present - there was a boat and we were sailing at sea, but there were other dream characters there as well - this is all vague. We were catching fish using fishing rods, but the fish were all metal. They had hinges so they could bend and move - like real-fish, but they looked like sculptures rather than organic animals. 

There was also a small child in this dream - she was white with blonde hair and was being adopted by someone - I do not think it was a member of my family - I think it was my mum's friend, CC as she was in the dream, with her daughter, KC. I think they were on dry land watching us sail in the boat, which makes me think that we were not a long distance from the shore, which I assume may be Norfolk (where I and CC and my family live) - but the exact location was not known to me. At first I had not seen the shore, or them standing there, so I think I only noticed we were a short distance from inland at this point in the dream. I started thinking about the Victorian period - and specifically the appearance of shoe shops in that era - I could see a visual image of a Victorian shoe shop, although it looked sepia - to represent the fact I was looking into the past, I guess.

Scene 2: A School - Day
I was taking a class in a school, but it wasn't my university. I am no sure what the class was, as I only found myself in the hallway, which was airy and white, with long windows and potted ferns. It reminded me of a holiday villa.

I cannot recall anything else about this dream, other than I think I went to North Norfolk with some dream characters.

TIME: 03:00 - 08:10 hours (I do not know when this dream took place)
LUCIDITY: NO

Dream Information:
  • CC & KC have a last name containing the word 'cod' - a variety of fish. This exact verbal association - a dream involving CC and visual representations of fish has occurred in a recent previous dream

Dreamsigns:
  • The fish were all metal
  • The school looked like a holiday villa

Recurrent Dream Themes:
  • My family as dream characters
  • Association of CC and fish

Potential Day/Dream Residue:
  • The night before this dream I had been watching Masterchef Australia and they were doing an elimination challenge featuring fish
  • A few days before this dream, DL and I had watched The Great British Bake Off and it was 'Victorian Week'
  • 2 days before this dream I watched a documentary on the notorious paedophile and murderer, Sidney Cooke,and in it, there was footage of a shoe shop which was used as a venue to meet rent-boys
  • I am currently rolled in a class (20 credits of a Masters Degree in Teaching Skills) which will start shortly and recently have been offered a contract to teach 2 subjects (in law) at my university

Waking Thoughts & Emotions:
This was a boring, very brief and vague dream with no reference to Kurt Cobain. The dream didn't seem to have much narrative and didn't leave me with any impact other than disappointment not to have been successful in my Dream Incubation Experiment - Kurt Cobain Dream project by Day 14, which was the cut-off point I had set based on my previous dream incubation experiment successes within this time-frame.

Interpretation/Analysis:
This short dream seems to have no clear connection to my dream incubation experiment. I think my dream was quite fragmentary and vague because I had interrupted sleep. Recently I have been going to sleep at an earlier time than usual and waking up in the morning because I have been busy at work. Last night I was on duty for work and received 2 calls in the early hours, which meant I went to bed very late, but still woke up in the morning to attend to some university work. I only got 5 hours of sleep, instead of my usual 8 hours on average.

* I have forgotten large sections of this dream - or perhaps not even dreamed them at all. It just seems a very fragmentary, disconnected dream compared to some of my others. If I recall anything else about this dream, I will record it below.


I am thinking that I should perhaps continue with my Dream Incubation Experiment - Kurt Cobain Dream, because I was showing some initial breakthroughs - and to be honest, even my less relevant non-lucid and lucid false awakening dreams were more interesting during this experiment. By analysing my dreams in terms of a set frame of reference which I have reinforced into my subconscious mind by using cognitive methods (both using the traditional dream incubation methods, effective lucid dream induction techniques focusing on memory, intention, auto-suggestion - and my own version of immersion; engaging in a focused, conscious manner on my desired subject-matter as regularly and consistently as possible). 

I have been able to see my subconscious process these goals and ideas in an amusing and insightful manner, even reinforcing some of my previously researched areas of dreaming - such as 'dream speech' and how the dream can incorporate quite complex puns. The self-analysis I have been doing - which I hope to write as a longer report, shortly - has given me a new perspective into how my dreams are working and the way my sleeping mind processes information of the day. I have been doing the very same exercise for the last few years on-and-off anyway, so it seems to make sense to continue in the same vein of the previous 14 days and see what happens. 

I am not setting myself a time-limit this time - it will be an open-ended project which will continue until I have a successful dream incubation. The only main difference between my Dream Journal posts now and the ones I was writing prior to commencing this experiment are the sub-headings, consistent methodology, and inclusion of specific relevant links to other posts, which may be of help to anyone either hoping to conduct their own dream incubation or learn how to lucid dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment