Saturday 30 January 2016

Dream 556

'Arguing with my Nan'
Dream date: 28 January 2016

Scene 1: My Nan's House, Sheringham - Night
I was in my Nan's house in Sheringham and it was night, although I did not see outside the house to confirm this. I was sitting in the chair beside the door to the hallway and my nan was sitting on the sofa. In the room were 2 uncles by marriage - AF and BJ - who are divorced and estranged from the family, both for infidelity and other more serious issues which I will not detail in this Blog out of respect to my aunts and cousins. AF is HM's stepfather/SAF1 and SAF2's father (ex-husband of VF, my mum's youngest sister); and BJ is my cousin CAJ's father (ex-husband of my aunt CJ). There were other family members - including my cousin JC1 - in the kitchen. My Nan wanted to use the internet on a laptop. She asked if she could use my smartphone as a 'hotspot' for internet access and I said she could and I would set it up. My Nan then gave me a £20 note which I placed on the table. I thought that this would be useful as it covered my train fare back to Norwich and also my food for the next day. My Nan started to look up a website about prawns/shrimps on the laptop. AF was also using a laptop. He said something (I cannot remember what), but this caused me to disagree strongly with him and he was mocking me. To my surprise, my Nan started to side with him against me (this would never happen in real-life - my Nan once threw BJ out of her house - bearing in mind he lived on the other side of the country and was hungover - whilst my ex-boyfriend and I were also staying, because BJ had made racist comments; my ex-boyfriend was a person of colour and I am mixed-race and my Nan obviously wanted to defend and protect us from the racism).

My cousin JC1 tried to keep the peace, telling me that it was OK and I should not get angry. My Nan was laughing and I started arguing with her, telling her that she shouldn't treat me in this way. I then noticed that the £20 was gone from the table. My Nan said: 'Yes, I took it back'. I was angry about this and wondered why, as it was so out of character for my Nan, who is very generous with what little money she has because she knows that I struggle with finances and we are a working-class family who try to help each other out when we can. I started trying to convince myself that it was not worth getting upset about because in the grand scheme of things I had enough money in my own bank account to pay for my train fare and food and I should not fall out with my Nan over money (I never ever would do this, I am so grateful to her for how she helps me out without ever expecting repayment). The situation felt very uncomfortable and I wanted to leave.

TIME: 21:00 - 05:00 hours (I am not sure when this dream took place)
LUCIDITY: NO
SPECIAL NOTES: NONE OF NOTE

Dream Information:

  • None of note

Dreamsigns:
  • My estranged uncles were at my Nan's house, even though in real-life they would not be welcome
  • My Nan would never use a computer or want to access the internet as she does not understand technology
  • I would not know how to use my phone as a hotspot for the internet

Recurrent Dream Themes:

  • My Nan's house as a dream scene location

Potential Day/Dream Residue:
  • I had recently spoken to my cousins JC1 and also CAJ separately
  • I am visiting my family over this coming weekend, for JC2's (JC1's younger brother) 18th birthday party - HM and her family will be there
  • I am aware that a certain person invited to the party holds racist views and I think I am anxious that I won't hold my tongue if he makes any controversial or hateful remark in my presence; I know he holds these views based on comments he has made on Facebook. This worry is clearly in my mind prior to attending the party

Waking Thoughts & Emotions:
This dream wasn't particularly enjoyable because it involved a family feud and my uncles who I would not want to spend any time with. The most interesting thing about this dream was how significant the fact my Nan was researching prawns/shrimps seemed to be - I remember seeing a huge image of a prawn on the laptop screen and this seemed to be very important in the dream.

* I have forgotten some aspects of this dream, but if I recall them later, I will record them below.

No comments:

Post a Comment