Thursday 17 March 2016

Dream 585

'I've Seen This Before'
Dream date: 15 March 2016

This is Day 16 of my Dream Incubation Experiment. You can read the details and methodology of my latest Dream Incubation Experiment by clicking HERE.

Scene 1: My Nan's House, Sheringham - Time Unknown
I was in my Nan's house in Sheringham. SH, a girl I went to high school with, had moved into my Nan's house with her, abandoning her partner and several children. I was wondering why my Nan had let her move in, because this meant that she would be using my bedroom (the other 3 bedrooms in my Nan's council house are used are the main room, which my Nan uses; the 'back bedroom' which used to belong to VF, which contains all my belongings in storage; and the box room, which used to belong to my uncle GC, and is used for storage by my Nan). My Nan did not want to explain her decision to me, and I was following her around the downstairs of the house, questioning her and not giving up. I do not know where SH was. I was feeling frustrated. I cannot remember what else happened.

Scene 3: An Art Gallary (Location Unknown) - Day
I was then in an art gallery, which was painted white. It was filled with visitors. I cannot recall any art being on the walls, but I was in a particular room which was showing video installations and art films. I was standing slightly to the side of the section where they were showing Salvador Dali & Luis Buñuel's Un Chien Andalou (1929), a surrealist film, which shows a woman's eye being sliced by a razor (an actual dead animal's eye was used for this scene). In real-life I have always been unable to watch this scene as it makes me feel too squeamish. In the dream, I ducked down behind a white bench on the gallery floor, so that I could no longer see the film showing. I managed to time this just right, so I missed the scene with the eye. I felt very pleased with myself and 'remembered' (in the dream) about managing to do this in real-life when the scene with the eye was shown recently on a TV show (my 'memory' was seeing this scene at DL's flat on his TV and telling him 'don't look now' - I am not sure if this ever took place in real-life, or was a 'fake dream memory i.e. an example of 'dream déjà vu'). It seemed that I realised that this was a 'dream scene' reproducing a real-life memory within the dream - I was thinking: 'I've seen this before in real-life'. However, I did not become lucid, although I think this was a pre or semi-lucid dream

TIME: 03:30 - 11:30 hours (I woke up from this dream)
LUCIDITY: PRE-LUCID/ SEMI-LUCID DREAM - Realisation that I had seen a dream scene before in waking life i.e. recognizing a distinction between the real world and the dream world
SPECIAL NOTES: NONE OF NOTE

Dream Information:
  • None of note

Dreamsigns:
  • None of note

Recurrent Dream Themes:
  • Someone else sleeping in a bedroom which used to be mine

Potential Day/Dream Residue:
  • The day before this dream I had explained the concept of dream déjà vu to someone on the lucid dreaming page I follow on Facebook. I used the phrase 'seen before'. This is quite compelling given the nature of my own dream déjà vu in this dream - seeing a scene where an eye is blinded by a razor
  • The day before this dream I was explaining my approach to dream interpretation (neo-Freudian) to someone else on the lucid dream page - I was telling the person who asked me to help them about day residue and latent/manifest content

Waking Thoughts & Emotions:
This dream was not related to my Dream Incubation Experiment in any way. It was quite a banal dream, other than the fact that I had a 'dream memory' which was quite clear in the dream. The dream memory was me 'seeing' the allegedly real-life event play out - me and DL sitting on his sofa, watching the eye scene from Un Chien Andalou, which seemed to be shown as a clip on a TV show - perhaps one of the music documentaries that we sometimes watch in the early hours of the morning on BBC4. In my dream I was aware that the 'remembered' scene had 'replayed' to me in the dream scene which took place in the art gallery, as I explained above, allowing me to be able to mentally distinguish (while in the dream state) between what I was experiencing in the dream and the real-world, where I supposedly watched Un Chien Andalou with DL. When I spoke to DL about this dream, he did not indicate that the real-life 'memory' was accurate or that we had ever watched the clip from Un Chien Andalou together, he simply said: 'I can't watch that scene either' - as if implicitly accepting that this was just part of my dream, not based on real-life events/memories. This was a very interesting way in which day residue and verbal associations were linked.

No comments:

Post a Comment