Friday 19 February 2016

Dream 565 (FALSE AWAKENING)

'I'm a Father!'
Dream date: 17 February 2016

Scene 1: An Interior Scene - Time Unknown
I was in a dark corridor - the light was blue and hazy. Everything seemed blue or grey toned and all I could see were the long walls either side of me, and a metal elevator door at one end. DL was standing beside the elevator door, and beckoned me over. As I approached him, he grabbed my arm to pull me closer. He then said: 'This is what I want you to see...' and showed me a video (on a laptop screen, which he had not been holding when I first noticed him in the corridor, and which I saw up close as soon a my attention was drawn to it). The video was of a woman giving birth. I thought it was disgusting and did not want to see the graphic scenes. DL said: 'We can enjoy watching this together', which made me think he was acting slightly strange. 

Scene 2: My Nan's House, Sheringham - Day
I was then in my Nan's house in Sheringham, with my Mum and Nan. The living-room was set up like a small cafe and we were sitting at a beige table, just beside the window. There were cups of coffee on the table. I was excited to tell my family the news I had - a male, WP, (known to me in real-life and someone I briefly 'dated' a few years ago) had moved to Yorkshire (so up north) and had just given birth to a baby girl named 'Arianna'. I was the 'father' of the baby - or at least, I was the other parent. I was saying to my Mum: 'I'm a parent now!' but my Mum was completely uninterested and was telling me that I should: 'Forget about it'. I thought she would be excited to be a grandmother, but she was not at all. I had a photograph of 'my daughter', but my Mum would not look at it. I felt disappointed and sidelined by her reaction. I am not sure what my Nan did/said, although I recall she also was not interested in my new baby either.

Scene 3: A Classroom - Day
I was then in a classroom - which was filled with people I attended high school with, including 'the farmers' - a group of boys who may not have actually been from farming families, but who were typical 'Norfolk farmer types' in appearance and attitude. Most of these boys would fall on the spectrum of 'educationally sub-normal' but they all excelled in agricultural sciences as a result of their upbringing. The same boys used to give me racist abuse when I was at school, being the only person in my year with a different ethnic background. My Mum was teaching the class - I think it was a science class. People were raising their hands to contribute to the class, but I cannot remember what was being said. The classroom was arranged very much like I remember my high school classrooms - tables of 4 - 6 people spread around the room. There were potted plants in the centre of the tables. My Mum was handing out items of makeup/cosmetics to each table - high-end brands and very desirable products. I was jealous that other people were receiving the makeup, even though I knew my Mum had given me more items than any of the other pupils in the class - I was looking into a makeup bag packed with makeup, still sealed in the packaging (many items had orange casing). I thought that I had the right to go around the tables of other pupils and demand that I take the items which I wanted since my Mum was the teacher and it was her who had provided the class with the makeup. I was slowly gathering items from other tables, much to the annoyance of the other pupils. However, at the back of the room, where 'the farmers' were seated, none of the tables would let me have the makeup items. The farmers would not give me the sparkly metallic eyeshadow palettes I wanted, and this was frustrating me as I was not sure why they wanted to keep them, given none of them would wear makeup (they are all homophobic and transphobic individuals, so none of them would ever entertain the idea of men wearing makeup). I went to my Mum to complain that I couldn't get the eyeshadows from the farmers, My Mum pointed out that I already had the same eyeshadows in my makeup bag, but I was not happy - I wanted EVERYTHING!

Scene 4: My Bedroom in Norwich - Night
I was then woke up in bed in my house in Norwich. It was night, but instead of being completely dark, the same dim, hazy blue light as in the first scene of this dream, was present. I looked at my set of drawers (which is next to the door) and saw that my housemate, SH, had brought home a laser printer and placed it on the drawers. I thought that this was useful, and I wondered what time she had arrived home and how she had put the printer in my room without waking me up. I decided that I should go back to sleep and then get up in the morning (I assumed, without looking at the time, that it was quite late at night) and use it to print my thesis drafts. It was only after I really woke up later on that I realised this had been a false awakening, although nothing had alerted me to this fact - I had truly believed that I had woken up and seen the printer on my drawers!

I cannot recall anything else about this dream.

TIME: 20:00 - 04:20 hours (I am not sure when this dream took place)
LUCIDITY: NO
SPECIAL NOTES: NONE OF NOTE

Dream Information: None of note

Dreamsigns:
  • DL's behaviour
  • The appearance of my Nan's living-room which looked like a cafe
  • The fact a male had given birth to a baby and I was the father
  • My Mum was a teacher

Recurrent Dream Themes:
  • None of note

Potential Day/Dream Residue:
  • I  had been watching Jam by Chris Morris the day of this dream. I had watched a scene in one of the sketches where an incompetent security guard fails to stop a  number of colleagues fall down a broken lift shaft - there was also a scene involving some farmer-like characters, described as 'the dung-breathed men who pick you up and van you to the Fens to wrestle pigs' (the Fens is an area of countryside in East Anglia, which covers part of my home county Norfolk. It is notorious as people joke about high rates of incest and bestiality occurring there as a result of the demographic, who are considered to be typically of a low intelligence and provincial in their views, coming from a sheltered rural community). I have included some screenshots of these characters from Jam below. These men are similar to the 'farmers' I attended high school with - dirty, ignorant, provincial etc
  • 'Arianna' is similar to the name of someone I know - and I had seen reference to the real-life person on Facebook earlier on the day of this dream
  • I had seen WP's engagement announcement on Facebook the day I had this dream
  • The day of this dream I had been watching some makeup tutorials on Youtube

Waking Thoughts & Emotions:
This dream was really strange and I woke up realising that I had experienced a false awakening, although unusually for me, I had not become lucid (i.e. aware I was still actually asleep and in a dream state) when this took place. 

* I may have forgotten some parts of this dream. If I recall anything further, I will record it below.

No comments:

Post a Comment