Friday 3 March 2017

Dream 787

'Steak Grilling'
Date: 2 March 2017
Time: 19:30 - 03:30 (I woke up from this dream naturally)
Type of dream: Normal dream
Dream recall: Normal recall

Scene 1: A Pub (London?) - Day
I was looking for a new job as I had recently moved to somewhere - I think it was London. I badly needed a new job as I only had a small amount of money left in my bank account. I was in a large, city centre pub, which was traditional and reminded me of being beside the sea. It was decorated like a typical old-fashioned English pub. I was standing on one side of the bar, talking to the dream character who run the pub. To my left was a large window and I could see out onto the street - noting that it was also day time. 

At various points in the dream I thought the dream character was an older female, and at other times I thought they were a young male. It wasn't as if they were 'shifting identities', but rather that my perception kept changing. I also got the 'impression' or 'feeling' of being in my Nan's bathroom, in Sheringham, standing beside the toilet, looking down at the bath. I cannot explain what I mean here - it was an impression without being explicitly visualised. There were customers in the pub, but they were not close by - they were scattered around the bar-room. 

I was asking the dream character about available jobs in the pub. I was told that there was a job in the kitchen, grilling steaks and cleaning. I would be working with one other person. I was asking a variety of questions about the job - and these were answered by the dream character. I was told (in answer to my questions) that the job would be for 3 - 6 days per week and each shift would be 10 hours or less. The customers in the pub were 'Conservative types' (I interpreted this to mean politically Conservative i..e Tories, not merely morally conservative). I asked the dream character how much I would earn per week and whether it would be '£300'. The dream character did not know, so we tried to calculate the wages. We were both unsuccessful. I said I would get out my phone and use the calculator on it - it was my work phone, so a cheap 'burner-style' Nokia phone. The dream character they got out their own mobile - which was black and yellow and the size of a house brick, with various attachments, which made it more cumbersome and bulky. The dream character told me that this was the only phone which could do the calculations. However, the phone could only use . - decimal points, not numbers. I was getting frustrated seeing the dream character trying to work out maths sums using only decimal points, so I decided to work out the sum myself using pencil and paper. 

I cannot recall what else happened in this dream. I know that there was another scene - or perhaps more - which I have forgotten.

Extra Information: 
None of note

Recurrent Dream Themes: 

  • None of note

Dreamsigns: 
  • I had moved to London and was looking for a new job
  • The identity of the dream character kept changing in my perception and I also had the impression of being both in the pub and my Nan's bathroom at the same time
  • The actions involving using phones to calculate wages

Day Residue: 
  • I have recently been applying for part-time jobs and on the day of this dream found out that I had been rejected for an position of Research Assistant which I had applied for within my university, and that R3A had got a new job - a short while before (a day or 2), ML had suggested applying for jobs in a local pub or trying the Sainsbury Centre (the university art gallery space) which has a cafe, sometimes used for formal dining by the Vice-Chancellor of the university
  • On the day of this dream I had been reading/making notes for my PhD chapter on identity/identification
  • On the day of this dream I was on duty for my job in student welfare, so was in charge of the duty phone
  • A short while before this dream, DL and I had been discussing technology of the 1980s and specifically, the earliest version of mobile phones

Waking Reactions: 
This dream was highly influenced by Day Residue - and reflects my anxiety that I need to get a part-time job which pays me enough, while giving me sufficient free time to write up my PhD. The most striking thing about this dream was not the action, but rather the way in which my perceptions kept shifting. This is very difficult to explain, but the way this dream was experienced was very much more 'dream-like' than some of my other dreams, where I am not aware of how I am perceiving events. 

I know that I have forgotten some parts of this dream, but if I recall anything further, I will record it below.

No comments:

Post a Comment