Tuesday 4 August 2015

Dream 466 (FALSE AWAKENING)

'Police Questioning'
Dream date: 29 June 2015 (Afternoon Nap)
My academic supervisor, IE, was walking around and I was following him. He was being impatient with me because I could not walk quick enough. I do not know why I had to follow him or what our actual task/goal was. I am unaware of the specific environment we were in, but it was outside and sunny.

I came back to my house, which looked different from how it normally does. I was still living in the house next to the path, on the end of a row of terraces, but it felt like these houses were in a different location - perhaps Sheringham - by appearance. However, it transpired (in dream thoughts and conclusions drawn from conversation in this scene) that I was still living on my university campus, despite appearances. As I approached my front door - which had bushes or trees surrounding it (not there in real-life), I noticed that all my colleagues were outside their front doors. They were not my actual real-life colleagues, but 'dream characters' instead, although I did not realise this at the time. There was a young, white male police officer (in uniform), with a pocket notebook, questioning people. He started to question me, and I was refusing to answer his questions. Our conversation went as follows (approximately, not precise words used):

Policeman: 'I need to question you about why you walked across the field' [the field behind my house].
Me: 'I don't need to answer your question until you tell me why you are asking' [defensive, worried].
Policeman: 'We have information that you have been walking across the field' [looking in notebook, trying to shield it from my view - I'm trying to read it to see what is written about me].
Me: 'I am not going to confirm that until you tell me why you want to know' [defiant and smug].
Policeman: 'You are suspected of committing a criminal offence'.
Me: 'What criminal offence? Unless you tell me what suspicion or evidence you have, I'm not going to answer your questions' [angry, self-righteous].
Policeman: 'You have to answer my questions about the field'.
Me: 'No I don't, I'm a lawyer and I know my legal rights. Are you going to arrest me?'
Policeman: 'I know you walk across the field. If you confess to it, we can get this sorted out quickly'.
Me: 'I'm not going to confess to anything and if you take me to court I'll plead not guilty to any criminal offence because you haven't got evidence and this is entrapment' [not really 'entrapment' but potentially misconduct; completely aware the police have no evidence of any criminal offence I may have committed].

This conversation continued for some time - fruitlessly for the police officer, as I did not crack and answer any of his questions directly. In my mind, I was aware of - and clear on - my legal rights and did not feel intimidated. I was aware that the police officer was trying to implicate me in drug use ('walking across the field') but was not explicitly saying this, hoping I would confess. I did not. I then realised the police officer was my boss, DT - still dressed as a policeman, however. The situation now seemed less tense. There was some conversation outside my house, including my 'colleagues'.

I heard the (real-life) text message alert noise on my mobile phone sound, which disturbed me in the dream state. I woke up to look at the text, feeling like I was really awake (I wasn't). This was a false awakening, although I wasn't aware at first. There was no sleep paralysis to alert me. It was daylight and my laptop (next to my bed, on a chair) was turned on - both situations I would expect in real-life as this was a daytime sleep and I had been watching my laptop before I fell asleep.

I read the text message - which (in the false awakening) was from JD. It said: 'I'm on Le Shuttle, but I'm near your stop, so you need to tell me if I should get off to come and visit you'. I thought this was odd (as 'Le Shuttle' - or the 'Eurotunnel Shuttle' is between Folkestone and Calais, and nowhere near Norwich). I then realised that I was in a false awakening and this was a 'dream text' not a real one, since it was bizarre and meaningless. I was lucid, but also felt tired and heavy-headed and did not wish to try to get out of bed and make this into a full lucid dream. My main motivation was to go back to sleep. 


I thought to myself: 'this dream has 4 parts' and I tried to recall all of them, while in the false awakening. I listed them all in my head, but then I fell straight back into a normal sleep and can remember no more. I could only remember 3 elements (or 3 distinct parts of the dream, including the false awakening) when I woke up, which means I may have forgotten an entire dream scene which I could recall in the false awakening.

TIME: 13:30 - 17:00 hours (I am not sure when this dream started, but I received the text - which I heard in my sleep, prompting the false awakening - at 16:14 hours, which is when I would approximate the false awakening to have started (lasting less than 1 minute in total)
LUCIDITY: YES - low level lucidity for a number of seconds during false awakening. Low clarity and no control
SPECIAL NOTES: 

Dream Information:
  • I did get a text message on my phone at the time I 'heard' it happen in my dream, prompting the false awakening. In real-life, the text message was from DL, although in the dream it was from JD

Dreamsigns:
  • My house looked different and seemed to be in a different location, although it was later confirmed to be my university (F - Form)
  • My colleagues were just dream characters (C - Context/F - Form)
  • The police officer became my boss, DT (A - Action/F - Form)

Recurrent Dream Themes:

  • Academia; being enrolled in a class or learning institution
  • Police

Potential Day/Dream Residue:
  • I was in the process of arranging a supervisory meeting with IE at the time this dream took place
  • I often walk across the field and round the lake (to the nature reserve) to smoke as it is discreet, calm and picturesque
  • On the day of this dream, my boss had paid a scheduled visit to my house to check for damage/repairs - I have a sizeable hole in my wall which occurred when I kicked out in my sleep and my foot went through the plasterboard! I knew in advance that he would be wanting to look at this (because when I 'confessed' to it at a work meeting, it sounded suspicious!) It actually transpired that I just needed to get it fixed and was in no risk of being fined or charged for damage to property
  • There has been a lot of publicity about the Eurotunnel Shuttle in recent times due to the panic over immigrants using it to enter the UK from France - and the drastic attempts made to stop them

Waking Thoughts & Emotions:

This dream was moderately interesting, when considered as a whole - but only really because of the false awakening. It was strange because during the very brief false awakening (as soon as I became aware of the fact), I was able to remember 4 separate dream scenes, which I listed to myself in an attempt to remember them when I 'properly' woke up. I think I must have been aware that I was unable to write them down in a false awakening state, but knew that as a result of being lucid, my memory may work.

My memory did work in that I can recall the thought process and fact I was trying to commit something to memory - and I remember 'remembering' 4 scenes from the dream (including the false awakening), although when I 'really' woke up, I could only recall 2 scenes and the false awakening (therefore, 3 parts to the entire dream). I have thought long and hard about the forgotten aspect of this dream, but have had no joy in remembering anything other than what is recorded in this dream report.


I am also interested in the fact that the actual real-life sound of my text alert on my mobile (which is always beside my pillow when I sleep) was heard in the dream state and triggered the false awakening rather than waking me up. 


* Obviously, I have forgotten 1/4 of this dream - according to my own observations within the (false awakening) dream state. I know I ran through the missing 4th scene/part of this dream while in the false awakening, in an attempt to commit it to memory, but forgot it again between falling back asleep and waking up properly. I do not think I will recall this dream scene, but if I do, I will recall it below.

No comments:

Post a Comment