Tuesday 17 May 2016

Dream 630

'My Mum's Electricity Problems'
Date: 16 May 2016
Time: 18:30 - 20:40 (I woke up from this dream - naturally)
Type of dream: Normal/non-lucid
Dream recall: Strong recall of vivid dream

Scene 1: Outside the Music Block, Next to my House (Norwich) - Day
I was outside the Music Block, which is next to my house in Norwich. I was sitting on the grass and it was a sunny day. I was using a laptop to surf the internet and comment on various forms of social media. In particular, I decided to comment on a video or status update by one of my favourite Youtubers, 'Grav3yardgirl' (Bunny Meyer). The comment was about dom/sub relationships, and soon a couple of other online viewers of Bunny's video/readers of her status (I am not sure which) had started challenging my views. Bunny then commented in response to me saying: 'You've stereotyped dom/sub relationships in a mainstream way'. 

I then walked into my kitchen and looked in my cupboard, where I discovered (I felt like I was 'remembering') that I had a pack of 3 bell peppers - red, yellow and green (I did not have these in real life, but when I woke up, I was confused and believed that in reality, I might actually have a pack of bell peppers!)

I then walked outside my house where all my colleagues were gathered. I noticed that one of my former friends and colleagues, AK (who stopped talking to me and deleted me from Facebook because his jealous girlfriend was insecure about our platonic friendship) was standing on the raised pavement (our houses are in set down a short distance from road level, with a narrow path between the houses and the steps up to the pavement) just in front of one of my neighbour's houses. He was wearing a red scarf around his neck. I ignored him, but wondered why he was here, as he no longer worked with us, and had moved away.

It turned out that my friend, SC was leaving - having quit his job (he will leave the job in a few months). We were all gathered to wish him farewell. I approached SC - and he went to hug me to say 'goodbye', but pulled back, knowing I dislike hugs (being a non-tactile person who lives to maintain personal space, as all of my friends are aware). I said: 'No, it's OK' and gave him a long hug. 

Scene 2: My Bedroom at my Nan's House, Sheringham - Evening
I was laying on my bed in my bedroom in my Nan's house, with my Mum. My Mum seemed much younger than she is (so in her 30s or so). She was acting differently, but I could not put my finger on what was odd about her. She just didn't seem like my Mum, but rather a stranger to me, even though in the dream I knew she was my Mum. I turned to the side and saw a holographic projection of a warrior princess - like CGI graphics or computer-game imagery just floating in the air beside the bed. The female character was wearing some form of leather clothing, with buckles, and her hands were clasped together in the prayer position at waist level. She had kitana swords in a sword holder on her back. Her skin was white, and her hair was long and black. The image was flickery. I knew it was simply a holographic projection, not really there and perceived the image to be related to a computer game while I was in the dream. There was further conversation with my Mum, and we were laying face-to-face hugging each other. I thought: 'I hope this isn't considered incest...' despite their being no sexual implications. 

We went downstairs, which happened to be the downstairs of my former childhood home in Pine Grove, Sheringham. There were other dream characters present, but I am not sure who they were. They told my Mum that she had 'forgotten to top up the electricity card' and advised her to go to the shop to buy some credit for the meter (we used to have an electricity meter/top-up card when we lived in this house, but my Mum usually sent me to the shop to put credit on it). My Mum was really angry and was acting even more strangely - I felt disconnected from her and thought she had negative feelings towards me. She was still the younger version of herself (probably the age she would have been when we lived in this house). She seemed hesitant to go to the shop to buy credit, and the other dream characters were trying to coerce her into going immediately, before the electricity ran out. There was some indication of a party going on in the other downstairs room (dining-room/kitchen) and I think my Mum wanted to stay for this party rather than go to the shop. There was some conversation/action which I cannot recall, but eventually my Mum left to buy the electricity. I was standing in the living-room, looking into the hallway through the open door. My Mum was standing at the front door, which was open. There was something which looked like a tin can in her hand.

Extra Information: None of note

Recurrent Dream Themes: None of note

Dreamsigns
  • The conversation with Grav3yardgirl online
  • The video-game projection I saw in my bedroom at my Nan's house
  • The fact my Mum was much younger and acting oddly
  • The downstairs of my Nan's house was actually the downstairs of my former childhood home in Pine Grove, which is a short walk away

Day Residue:
  • The day of this dream (in the morning) I had been sitting outside the Music Block, where it is often most sunny/warm
  • The day of this dream I had been watching Grav3yardgirl videos on Youtube. Via the 'suggested videos' I then watched a video by another Youtuber - a goth guy who made 'response videos' to famous Youtubers. In his response to Grav3yardgirl, I was disappointed to note that a Youtuber who was in full goth makeup and a Native American headdress questioned how 'alternative' Bunny was based on her 'normal appearance'. I felt that this was unfair - just because she doesn't look like the stereotype of someone involved in a subculture is no reason to criticise her, given this goth was living up to every single goth stereotype, and therefore was no more 'alternative' in appearance than she is. I left him a comment remarking that someone so alternative and anti-mainstream as himself should not categorise people by outward appearance or superficial stereotypes of what an 'alternative person' should look like, given he probably received judgment and discrimination based on his own appearance, and in any event, was dressed in a very stereotypical way himself
  • The day of this dream, I commented on a video posted by a Facebook friend which depicted dom/sub (BDSM) relationships between men and women - the video showed women being led around an outside area on dog leads. The feminist page which shared the image had stated that this was 'degrading to women', which my friend and I disagreed with, as the women were clearly consenting to, and enjoying, the experience
  • The day before this dream - and in a separate online debate elsewhere on the internet 2 days before this dream - I had discussed 50 Shades of Grey (novel: 2011 & movie: 2015), a truly horrific and low quality novel series/movie which depicts a dom/sub (sado-masochistic) relationship 
  • The day of this dream, I had been standing outside mine/my neighbours' houses with my neighbours/colleagues, discussing how long we would be remaining in our homes (when we quit our welfare-based jobs with the university, our tenancies end)
  • The day of this dream I had been talking to my friend SS about his mum
  • The day of this dream my Mum messaged me to ask if I needed some money due to the fact I had not received my wages as the result of an admin error at my university
  • The day of this dream, a member of the Sims 3 page on Facebook asked which mod she would need to enable her Sims to have incestuous relationships. I advised her which mod would allow this, but expressed surprise at her decision to play the game in this way

Waking Reactions: 
This was a really interesting dream to have. There was a strong sense of déjà vu in the part of the dream where my Mum had to go to the shop to buy electricity, but was angry about it. The aspect of this dream which I did not like was the altered relationship between my Mum and I - it felt like we were emotionally distant and that she did not really love me, which I know is not true. Her behaviour was subtly unsettling, although I cannot identify why.

No comments:

Post a Comment