Monday 14 September 2015

Dream 498

'There's No Shoes For Sale!'
Dream date: 11 September 2015

Day 4 of 14-Day Dream Incubation Experiment - Kurt Cobain Dream
This is Day 4 of my 14-Day Dream Incubation Experiment. Click on the red link to access the article which explains the experiment and contains all relevant links.

I had no recalled dream on Day 3 of this experiment.


Scene 1: A Shop/Market Stall - Day
I was in some kind of shop or indoor market stall (like those in Camden Lock - see images below) looking at some shoes being sold. I wanted some red velvet Doc Marten Mary Janes (see image below) and was looking for them in the racks of shoes. I was with a male - someone I know from real-life, but I cannot recall who. He was helping me look. The shop/stall manager/owner came over and said that he had some better shoes on another rack and directed me over. He was a middle-aged white man with a normal face and thin grey hair. He was wearing a white butcher's apron over a maroon shirt. This rack of shoes were all 'alternative' and 'grungy' and was positioned by the side of a large glass display cabinet of other shoes. I saw the shoes I wanted - secondhand - and decided I wanted to buy them. The manager/owner held them up for me to inspect, and seemed keen to sell them to me. I told the manager/owner I would come back to buy them in a minute. 

I then wandered off and started talking to my cousin HM, who was looking at some racks of clothes on another stand in the same shop/stall. I noticed this part of the shop/stall was much darker than the part where the shoes were. The racks of clothing were low - below my waist as I had to bend to look at them - or mounted on the wall, very high up. There were other female dream characters browsing in the clothing section. It seemed the clothes were all vintage or second-hand. This would be typical of Camden Lock markets, which are famous for these types of clothing stalls. I hadn't realised she was also here with me until this moment in the dream. HM was looking at some camouflage-print clothing. I was looking at a baby blue 1960s housedress - a kinderwhore style one with a white Peter Pan collar (see image of Courtney Love, below, where she is wearing clothes related to this dream). My cousin then picked up a two-piece outfit of a cropped bra-let top and some hotpants, which were white with blue stripes and looked like a retro bathing suit. She went to try it on, and while she did, I looked at other grunge-style dresses on a tall rack. She came back - from a red curtained off area next to the rack I was looking at - and said the outfit didn't fit and was too big for her, so I said I would buy it instead and was pleased!

I went back to the manager/owner of the shop/stall and asked about the red velvet Doc Marten Mary Janes I had been looking at. He said that he never stocked any of them. I said: 'You just showed me them!' and he denied this and said he hadn't showed me any shoes. I said: 'You showed me the shoes!' but again, he said he had not shown me any shoes and he was not selling any of those description. He and I argued over this for a moment. I was frustrated, as he was basically implying that I was lying or had some kind of mental lapse. I went over to the rack of shoes I had been looking at and found the shoes I wanted - the red velvet Mary Janes. The manager/owner just sold me the items I wanted, without further question.


TIME: 02:00 - 07:50 hours (I do not know when this dream took place)
LUCIDITY: NO

Dream Information:
  • HM's husband is a soldier in the Armed Forces

Dreamsigns:
  • The behaviour of the shop/stall manager/owner was odd - a weak dreamsign

Recurrent Dream Themes:
  • My cousin HM - and discussion/themes of our comparative body-shape/type/size

Potential Day/Dream Residue:
  • I have a pair of the black and a pair of the white Doc Marten Mary Jane shoes (see images below) - which I associate with Courtney Love
  • On the day of this dream I was sitting on my front step thinking about finding some more Mary Jane style shoes for Autumn

Waking Thoughts & Emotions:
I didn't realise the significance of some of the dream themes in this dream until I came to analyse it for this post. When I then thought about it, it made me excited about my dream incubation experiment - see below!

Interpretation/Analysis:
I associate Mary Jane shoes with Courtney Love - and also the blue dress - in the image below, she is wearing both. At first I didn't have any particular mental connection between this dream and my dream incubation experiment, but then I looked further into the dream. I love the Mary Jane shoes and thought the dream reference was simply the emergence of day residue - see above), but then I thought closer about the association of these particular shoes and the Courtney Love idea came to mind. I first bought the black Mary Janes (from Camden Lock Market!) because I wanted some grunge shoes and something of a more 'girly' alternative to the Doc Marten or biker-style boots I also wear. Therefore, although it is quite subtle, clearly, the seed for my dream incubation experiment - a dream about Kurt Cobain has been planted and I continue to get indirect references to him in my dreams, albeit those expressing the way his wife has inspired me in some way connected to identity, style and fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment